Technical Project Manager
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for a technically oriented project manager to join our project management office. FlightAware is the largest aviation web site in the world, serving more than 200M pages / month. We process over 40 million incoming messages an hour from over 45 individual data feeds—over 150 gigabytes a day and growing—to provide the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry.
The ideal individual has experience working as a project manager in an Agile environment. You'll:
- Plan, lead, and drive to completion a variety of projects in an Agile environment.
- Create project plans.
- Document requirements and write user stories.
- Facilitate meetings such as discoveries, stand-ups, retrospectives.
- Resolve blockers and manage cross-team work.
- Adapt to changing priorities.
- Manage and handle communication with third-party vendors.
- Communicate status updates to Director of PMO and executives, both verbally and in writing.
- Maintain and promote the PMO processes throughout the organization.
- Experience working as a project manager at a software company.
- 5+ years Agile project management experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications, and analytical and presentation skills.
- Able to think on your feet and adapt well to a quickly changing environment, and work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to dig deep and thoroughly understand problems and solutions.
- Ideally, you'll have:
- Experience with Kanban.
- Experience working in a PMO.
- 3+ years working in a technical role (software development, systems engineering, QA).
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies and methodologies to stay current, but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is a priority.
Being a pilot, or an individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: Technical Project Manager - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.