Software Development Manager
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for a software development manager to lead our ADS-B team.
FlightAware's ADS-B team is a unique cross-functional team that enables real-time acquisition of worldwide flight-tracking data for use in all of FlightAware's flight tracking products. We have over 19,000 devices in the field, all over the world, hosted by our crowdsourced network of aviation enthusiasts. The team designs, manufactures, ships, supports, and promotes our specialized ground-station hardware and software.
The main responsibility of this person will be to grow and improve the quality of our ground station network to deliver the world's absolute best and most comprehensive flight tracking.
This would be a facinating role for anyone looking for challenges beyond managing a software team. This role will grow to include additional management responsibilities. This position offers career growth to Senior Manager.
- Lead a cross-functional delivery team including hardware engineers, software developers, shipping logistics, manufacturing, and tier-2 customer support.
- Coach and develop members of your team.
- Establish and maintain relationships with team members, the community, vendors, and stakeholders within FlightAware.
- Act as product owner for the team's hardware and software products, both prioritizing ongoing work and developing a long-term team vision.
- Ensure project execution and quality. Create and meet metrics for success.
- Oversee shipping and customs logistics operations.
- You have 5+ years of engineering management for productive, high functioning teams. Proven ability to excel in a people leadership role.
- You know Agile methodologies and best practices, but are pragmatic and not doctrinaire. You demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset.
- You have strong verbal and written communication practices, and a demonstrated ability to represent your team and the work to audiences with differing levels of technical fluency.
- You love helping your team develop new skills and advance their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have worked successfully in a small company, entrepreneurial environment. You are a self-starter. You can consider changing conditions and conflicting constraints, make effective decisions, and execute.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training or work experience.
- A Pilot certificate (even student) a plus.
Salary varies based on experience
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject "Application: Software Development Manager - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.