IoT Electrical Engineer
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware operates the world’s largest terrestrial ADS-B ground-station network, which collects real-time tracking information for aircraft across the globe. This data powers FlightAware’s industry-leading web, mobile, and data products that millions of travelers and aviation professionals rely on every day. As an electrical engineer on the team, you will be responsible for the design, engineering, and tier-3 technical support of ADS-B radio receiver hardware and related technical components to maximize the reliability and coverage of our network. You will build things aviation enthusiasts around the world will love.
- Design and develop new and innovative hardware consumer electronics products for Mode S/ADS-B flight tracking, including software-defined radio (SDR) receivers, antennas, RF filters, etc.
- Maintain and support finalized product designs over their complete lifecycle. Provide tier-3 technical support for complex technical issues escalated by the customer support team.
- Interface with manufacturers to define specifications and ensure highest quality.
- Give technical direction and insight where necessary in a cross functional environment. Work side-by-side with software developers to build the best possible integrated products.
- Create and maintain technical documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical or computer engineering.
- Demonstrated experience with and general knowledge of consumer electronics devices, including troubleshooting. Ideal candidates will have experience with the installation and configuration of radio receiver equipment including radio scanner receivers, radio antennas, and RTL-SDR USB devices.
- Experience with RF signal processing and electrical circuit design and prototyping. Very good understanding of PCB layout principles.
- Ability to assemble, configure, operate, and troubleshoot Raspberry Pi-based electronics without assistance.
- Constant eye for recognizing inefficient or suboptimal processes and implementing improvements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Communicates effectively both face-to-face and in writing.
- Ideal candidates will have:
- Experience with flight tracking software (e.g., FlightAware, Virtual Radar Server, Planeplotter, dump1090, etc.).
- Aviation industry knowledge/experience, in particular Mode S/ADS-B/multilateration, or other radio data communications experience.
Salary varies based on experience
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject "Application: IoT Electrical Engineer - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.