Tier 2 Customer Support Analyst/User Engagement Specialist (ADS-B Team)
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
Join our world class team of aviation geeks and big data nerds! Our mission is to source data from around the world and turn it into information that empowers aviation. As a support analyst and user engagement specialist at FlightAware, you will support the growth and maintenance of our terrestrial ADS-B network consisting of over 15,000 devices worldwide.
About the FlightAware ADS-B Team
The FlightAware ADS-B team is a unique cross-functional team that enables real-time acquisition of worldwide ADS-B data for use in all of FlightAware's flight tracking products. The team designs, manufactures, ships and supports specialized ADS-B reception hardware for FlightAware-owned assets as well as aviation enthusiast hobbyists. As a support analyst and user engagement specialist on the ADS-B team you will be responsible for keeping our remote sites up and running as well as keeping the user base excited and engaged. To be successful in this role, you should be:
- enthusiastic about aviation, ADS-B and related consumer electronics,
- customer-focused, courteous and proactive,
- detail-oriented, and
- an effective communicator and team player.
- Triages and responds to inbound customer service tickets related to ADS-B Team hardware (FlightFeeders and retail parts) and software (FlightFeeder, PiAware, Skyview, ADS-B Statistics, etc.).
- Liaises with other team members to troubleshoot unusual issues and escalate them when necessary.
- Engages in proactive outreach to FlightFeeder hosts to assist them with improving their sites.
- Monitors the public discussion forum and social media channels to answer questions and provide support.
- Initiates bug reports and enhancement requests when issues are identified.
- Arranges for replacement equipment to be sent to FlightFeeder hosts when necessary.
- Maintains documentation, including FAQs, of common/known issues and the prescribed troubleshooting steps and/or resolution procedures.
- Maintains records of customer contacts, issues and resolutions
- Demonstrated experience with and general knowledge of consumer electronics devices, including troubleshooting experience. Ideal candidates will have experience with radio receiver equipment including installation and configuration (e.g., radio scanner receivers, radio antennas, RTL-SDR USB devices, coaxial cable, etc.).
- Experience with flight tracking software (e.g., FlightAware, Virtual Radar Server, Planeplotter, dump1090, etc.).
- Ability to assemble, configure, operate and troubleshoot PiAware and FlightFeeder ADS-B data feeder devices.
- Effectively prioritize and organize one's own work.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Create and maintain accurate data related to work processes and outputs.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain consistent quality standards.
- Demonstrated skills to recognize inefficient or suboptimal processes and recommend improvements.
- Excellent English communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Proficiency with standard office productivity software (word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, etc.).
- Ideally, you’ll have:
- Aviation industry knowledge/experience, in particular Mode S/ADS-B/multilateration from the aviation enthusiast/hobbyist perspective.
- Experience with radio receiver equipment including installation and configuration (e.g., radio scanner receivers, RTL-SDR USB devices, etc.).
- Familiarity with social media platforms and online advertising.
Salary varies based on experience and background.
- Eligibility for performance-based bonuses
- Matching 401(k)
- Company-paid employee medical, dental and basic life/AD&D insurance
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. Our kitchen is always stocked with snacks and beverages. You also get to use top-of-the-line Apple computers. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: Tier 2 Customer Support Analyst/User Engagement Specialist (ADS-B Team) - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.