Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
Join our world class team of aviation geeks and big data nerds! Our mission is to source data from around the world and turn it into information that empowers aviation. As an Internet-of-things software developer at FlightAware, you will build software for our terrestrial ADS-B network which services over 15,000 devices worldwide and processes over 80,000,000 aircraft position messages per hour. Our very popular end-user software is built to run on Raspberry Pi devices.
About the FlightAware ADS-B Team
The FlightAware ADS-B team is a unique cross-functional team that enables real-time acquisition of worldwide ADS-B data for use in all of FlightAware’s flight tracking products. The team designs, manufactures, ships, and supports specialized ADS-B reception hardware for FlightAware-owned assets as well as aviation enthusiast hobbyists. As a software developer on the ADS-B team you will be responsible for the software the runs on FlightFeeder hardware as well as PiAware which is used on hobbyist hardware. We're looking for someone who is:
- A creative problem solver that enjoys developing solutions to software challenges at scale.
- Passionate about creating rock solid code with automated testing built in.
- Has a high appreciation for the elegance of a well-thought-out design.
- Is flexible and enjoy working on a variety of software products.
- An effective communicator and team player.
- Develop and maintain IoT device software in support of the ADS-B network (PiAware and FlightFeeder).
- Develop and maintain server-side software for the processing of incoming messages from the ADS-B receiver network including transmission of data to downstream consumers within FlightAware and upstream to remote ADS-B feeder sites.
- Liaise with electrical engineer to coordinate the development and support of software that is compatible with FlightAware ADS-B radio receiver hardware and related components.
- Provide tier 3 technical support when complex technical issues are escalated by the customer support team.
- Collaborate with members of the ADS-B team and other FlightAware teams to develop integrated software solutions.
- Create and maintains technical documentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or a closely related field.
- Experience with flight tracking software (e.g., FlightAware, PiAware, Virtual Radar Server, Planeplotter, dump1090, etc.).
- Ability to assemble, configure, operate and troubleshoot PiAware and FlightFeeder ADS-B data feeder devices without assistance.
- Effectively prioritizes and organizes one’s own work.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships.
- Creates and maintains accurate data related to work processes and outputs.
- Sets and maintains consistent quality standards.
- Recognizes inefficient or sub-optimal processes and recommends improvements.
- Excellent English communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Proficiency with standard office productivity software (word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, etc.).
- Ideally, you’ll have:
- Aviation industry knowledge/experience, in particular Mode S/ADS-B/multilateration, or other radio data communications software experience.
- Experience with radio receiver equipment including installation and configuration (e.g., radio scanner receivers, RTL-SDR USB devices, etc.).
- Signal processing (electrical engineering) experience.
- Strong math skills.
- Big data and IoT device experience.
- Experience with Tcl, Python, C/C++, UNIX shell scripting, Kafka, Raspbian Linux, Git.
- Agile software development experience.
- Test-driven development/automated testing experience.
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies to stay current, but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is a priority.
Being a pilot, or an individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
Salary varies based on experience and background.
- Eligibility for performance-based bonuses
- Matching 401(k)
- Company-paid employee medical, dental and basic life/AD&D insurance
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. Our kitchen is always stocked with snacks and beverages. You also get to use top-of-the-line Apple computers. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
To apply and provide a small demonstration of your technical prowess, send your application to:
by setting the content of the
data variable to valid JSON with the following properties:
name: String with your name (required)
email: String with your email address (required)
position: String with the position you are applying for (required)
urls: Array of strings with links to your resume (required), along with any personal sites, sample projects, or your Github profile
comment: String with any comment/request you might have (optional)
You will receive a 200 response on success.